Monday, December 1, 2008

Philosophy of Teaching

Obviously there are different philosophies of teaching. Even if teachers haven't actually ever sat down and read through composition or teaching theory, everyone approaches education in a different way.

If I think back through the teachers I've had from kindergarten until now, I find that some of my graduate professors share similar qualities with my grade school teachers. The worst teachers all seemed to be the worst for the same reasons, and the best for the best reasons. Part of teaching is an inherent gift to relate to students while still maintaining authority and accomplishing objectives. This can be accomplished in any number of ways be they formalistic, expressive, or any combination of teaching strategies. An effective teacher usually has an "effective" personality to go along with their philosophy. Now, if a teacher is focused on quality of the student's experience or the quality of the student's actual education can sometimes be mutually exclusive but not always.

I approach the classroom expecting to be frustrated with students but also with the mindset that everyone deserves a fair chance before I begin to make assumptions. I actually tend to have the softest spot in my heart for students who struggle (regardless of whether it's due to learning differences, personal problems, or just a general bad attitude). Call it the Dead Poets Society syndrome, but I wouldn't mind if a bunch of kids stood up on their desks proclaiming "O Captain! My Captain!"

My philosophy of teaching first of all includes the quality of the material that will be used in class. I like to combine formal with modern (wanting of course to do a course on Medieval literature and its contemporary themes in Anime and MMORPGs). The student's engagement in the text is then my next requirement. Finally, a standard of strict grading and rigidly adhered to assignments complete the rest of my philosophy. I've always found a structured learning environment to be comforting and motivating since I tend to lack the oh-so-important skill of self-motivation.

Never know how to conclude these things....

Um...

Yeah.

No comments: